Wednesday, October 14, 2009

oopsi :/

First of I completely forgot that I had to do a blog about my groups reading choices. Well that’s my fault, so here it goes.
In reading “Writing for Children” I liked the way that it was set up into a 1,2,3 steps, for example this is what it is, this is how you can write it towards children, and this is why it works. Also the way the author describes word choice, point of view and weeding wordy words just made sense. The reason is that one that is not writing for children can also take what they read and adapt that to their writing in moderation. In writing for children the weeding of wordy words makes a lot of sense because the attention span of children is minimal.
When reading “knowing your Audience” I really do agree with the author that the writer must determine many things about the audience. This is also one of the most important steps a writer can take. Also I was taught this in one way or another amongst my years of high school, it might not have been directly called audience but it was more or less referred to as “think about who you are writing to”. Also the article made a good point in the end “don’t dumb down your paper” and always gives the reader the benefit of the doubt. There are many reasons why audience is chosen but one always needs to choose wisely otherwise there is a chance of offending a particular group of individuals.
As for the article “Responding to content” I thought it was an interesting because it gave a teachers point of view. Also the using questions is one of the parts of the article that I can see myself using in my most of my papers, blog post, and many more forms of writing. I think more of teachers should follow the first bullet “always say something positive” of the talking to students about their writing because some of my teachers/professors absolutely tore up my writing and sometimes students need this and sometimes they don’t. Teachers should really learn to take this into account.
In reading the “Audience” article I realized that you do have to keep your professor as well as your intended audience in mind when writing a paper. In reading these articles I am hoping that I can use it to improve my writing skills. Over all most of these articles helped me out in understanding more about my audience and how to write towards them.

No comments:

Post a Comment