Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Comics

In reading “Writing Comics: A Guide” I thought to myself about the topic for a second, when reading comics one does not think of what exactly goes into making this a piece of art in the Sunday paper, the reader just enjoys the little blip of work and goes about their day. For some this is something they do not do, they actually think about what goes into writing a comic. The word that cracked me up that I came by that was in a sentence all by its self was, Practice. I love that this was mentioned because it is the root to everybody’s problem in sports, writing, composing, in almost everything a person is involved in. Also some of the steps can be used for “normal” writing for example, check for spelling grammar etc. and format, all the basics that every writer of all kinds should be doing with every piece they compose. Something else that was interesting that I thought was something people knew and would not do was submitting an original art work. That is a no no, and if you actually become big someday that can be worth a lot of money.

While reading “VISUAL LANGUAGE: WRITING FOR COMICS” I do fall under the stereotype of thinking comic books are bout heroes and villains and this is where the good always triumphs comes from. I also thought they were always classified under the “art” category. But when reading this article I realized that it is a “medium of expression”, I stand corrected. I liked how when I was reading this article I really got the idea of what’s involved in making a comic and the legality side, also the writing, and art side. It really got me thinking of what actually goes into my favorite comic “MUTTS”. I realize now it is a lot more then I originally thought.

Just the title of the next one made me wonder “Women in Refrigerators” what is this going to be about. I was kind of weirded out by the first paragraph for a while then I realized it was part of someone’s weird comic. But also the character list and the alarming amount of characters that have (dead) next to the name, little strange. But on the other hand I liked how the author had the respondents and the reactions posted in links right there on their page.

“Not Just a Comic Book, Graphic Novels Teach us History”, I have no idea what to think on this one, I hope it is as interesting as the rest. I am more confused than anything I thought we were discussing comic books, but maybe there is a correlation I am missing here ,between graphic novels and comic books, I’m not so sure.

1 comment:

  1. Graphic novels are essentially a comic book, but it's much longer. Basically, it's a novel, but a comic. The idea behind that article was that graphic novels and comics teach about history, which they kind of do. Take Watchmen, that atrocity of a film that came out earlier this year. That, if you didn't know, was a graphic novel written in the 80s and was based during the Cold War and covers the characters lives during that time. Something that a lot of comics actually do.

    ReplyDelete