Wednesday, September 30, 2009

almost forgot :/

Defining and Avoiding Plagiarism: The WPA Statement on Best Practices
As I was reading this essay I am thinking to myself that, plagiarism is so easy to do, and everyone tries not to do so, but unfortunately its not always the case. There are so many reasons to not plagiarize anything, there are legal, career, school consequences as well as many more I can not think of off the top of my head. I believe this topic will conjure up some very interesting conversations in any discussion. The breakdown of how not to plagiarize and advice for when you do and what to expect from some individuals, I thought this portion was mostly geared toward faculty for example teachers of the age group of children that are of age to do a research project. This was ok I would rather had it be more towards students.
What plagiarism looks like
All that needs to be said here is that it is not just students that need to be watched like a hawk. This to me is like “pot meet kettle” or “do as I say not as I do”.
Scientist explain why they plagiarize
Also like mentioned in this piece of writing now a days its too easy for someone that is writing anything and use the copy and paste future that is becoming so popular and especially in this business of plagiarizing things. This is why you should try so hard not to plagiarize, no excuse of but even the scientist do it, who cares it’s about you the writer not them.
The ecstasy of influence: A plagiarism
Reading this particular piece of writing I noticed that there were a lot of random thoughts and things that did not really belong but the subject matter flowed and so did the paragraphs so I went with it. Then I remembered James saying something about a particular piece that was written totally from someone else’s work. It all made sense in the end, actually this was never plagiarism because in the end the author told the readers where the author got the information. All in all this was the best to read and it kept my interest.
For me personally I don’t believe I have ever plagiarized because as a child that was programmed/drilled into our heads that it was wrong and not ok to do so. This is correct it is wrong, and not ok to plagiarize in my standards. So whoever does this intentionally should know what they have coming to them and don not play dumb, but I guess it all depends on how you were taught as a child.

No comments:

Post a Comment