Thursday, October 29, 2009

Late night opinions

In reading the article “Film of the book: top 50 adaptations revealed” right off the bat I agreed with the author that a great book almost always does not make a good film all the time, sometimes but not all the time. Also I was surprised to see that there were no JK Rowling books on the list and Lord of the Rings either. These are good movies in my opinion. What I am not surprised that is on the list is Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (I like the original), Fight Club, The Godfather, and Alice in Wonderland.
“Novel Adaptations: How Close Should They be?” I attempted to read the Harry Potter books and literally got lost a few pages into the book and never picked up one of those since, but I do like the movies. So my opinion is if you are going to see the movies do not read the books and if you are going to read the books don’t go see the movie plain and simple. But we have to have people that want exact copies and it just does not work. I love the movie “The Devil Wears Prada” and I had no idea that there was a book, I do now, but I’m not going to go read the book because it just would ruin either or the book or the movie but I will never know.
Reading “Adapting a Novel Into a Screenplay” I totally get step number one because when reading a book you create this character in your mind and then when you see the movie its so not what you had pictured the whole time reading the book. when reading the book you are left to make your own screenplay if you will rather than if you see the movie and then read the book ( I don’t recommend ) then it just ruins the book, because things are there that are supposed to be and things that are not.
“True Blood Book Adaptation Sucks” I never even watched one part of that show so I have no way to relate to the article.
“A Clockwork Orange By Anthony Burgess” This article I do agree that the imagery could be powerful. I find it weird that the 21st chapter was not included but included everywhere else. I still agree that you should read the book or see the movie not do both it just ruins one or the other.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that books and movies should be judged as separate things, and that a movie should not be criticized based on its source material. What works in a novel does not necessarily work in a movie, as well as vice versa.

    ReplyDelete