Wednesday, September 9, 2009

about readings

If I remember correctly Mr. Schirmer said something in class along the lines of people reading something from the computer or on line only have the attention span or memory span to hold information in-between four hundred and six hundred words but not more than six hundred on average. In reading most of the required readings while on my computer I realized that there is some truth to this. I found myself losing my place in the longer paragraphs. It is sad but true. I enjoyed reading “Internet-Age Writing Syllabus and Course Overview” by Robert Lanham I chuckled to myself a little while reading it and it was the most entertaining one for me to read, the information given about is something almost everyone is including in their daily routine like curling up with paper books is unheard of, now it’s just reading a virtual book on your palm-pilot or blackberry. It does a good job of opening our eyes to what we have come to, no more classic books we can hold and let get dusty or dog-eared because of being read so much. Where is the fun it that. Also when words are printed on paper they die, this was interesting to me but somewhat the truth.
In reading “Twitter, Flickr, Facebook Make Blogs Look So 2004” by Paul Boutin, was an ok read, it was a little demanding when you first get into it, did not like that very much but it pulled you in to want to know the authors opinion on why you should not have a blog. Boutin does have some good points but he is just one opinion among many on both sides weather you should have a blog or stick to the more modern alternatives like facebook or twitter. While reading about the Stanford Study of Writing, research overview I found it interesting that the study came up with so much diversity, but I believe that was expected due to the study spanning over five years. What jumped right out at me by reading “blogging essential for a good career” is that a company will often Google future employees, yes this is true but what is said on all the social networking sites can hinder or help you on their decision to hire you or not. Placing your thoughts on a blog and not on a facebook page does not “hide” you from your future employer. I tend to live in reality where being hired for your personal blog only happens to a few people. Don’t get me wrong I do believe it happens but not as often as the author wants us to think it does. “On Blogging and Becoming a Better Writer” reading this one was I have a different opinion with almost everything the author says. Also what is with the analogy to the time spent at the gym stretching and the blogs of how it’s a way to try new things, im not clearly understanding that, I don’t know if it is because I am not that passionate about writing or what?? Reading “How the other half writes: in defense of twitter” the comparisons are have a strange truth about them. From “There’s an Art to Writing on facebook and twitter—really” the only one that stood out to me was this one and it got me thinking "Great blogging is great writing, and it turns out great Twittering is great writing — it's the haiku form of blogging," says Debbie Weil, a consultant on social media and author of The Corporate Blogging Book. Interesting comparisons used in article.

1 comment:

  1. I heartily agree with your opinions on the article titled "Blogging Essential for a Good Career." The author acted as though he/she was speaking to the vast majority of people, when that was not the case. I also felt that the spirit of the article was not all that grounded in typical reality.

    ReplyDelete