Monday, September 14, 2009

Monday night opinion

“Words for Print VS Words for Web”
While reading this piece of writing, I was not following it very well. I did not get the connections right away. It took me a while I actually read it tow times before I sort of came to an understanding with the writing. I do not know if it is me or what. What did find interesting that even thou having a printed version of a magazine or newspaper is becoming obsolete, there is always hope according to this writing. Also that professional bloggers are veterans of the magazine industry, this makes sense to me because of the way that the blogs and the magazine articles are the same. They are the same in my opinion because of the word choice, style and content. On the other hand they can be very different, by one has to be polished and an editor sees it while the other one has the option of being edited. It’s a choice.
“Traditional Writing Skills Don’t Work on the Web”
This reading was better in terms of easiness to follow and kept my interest throughout. I enjoyed the analogy of web content to an elevator ride to the next stop. This was a good way to do this, it painted a specific situation into my head, very relatable scenario. I also enjoyed the authors description of the business website, “anything that is on your website that strokes your ego, makes you smile, whatever you think is cool remove immediately”. This summarized statement does speak the truth, when working in a professional setting there should not be a link to the companies twitter account, first of all a company should not have a twitter account in the first place, come on it’s a place of business not pleasure. This coming from firsthand experience searching for a company finding one and seeing the link to their twitter account, not a good idea in my opinion. And if it is a good idea and I am proven wrong, what is this world coming to.
“We Are All Writers Now”
In the middle of reading this article I needed to stop and write down my thoughts before they escaped my brain. I see the authors point on how people view the social networking sites as something that sucks the time right out of our lives. With a wonderful rebuttal so far of one teachers account that her students do the twenty fife things about me on a daily basis and or for fun. So in her lesson plans she can “skip over” or just cover it briefly. This makes a lot of sense, people are not afraid to put anything in their status updates on any of the sites. There are always two sides to the story; I need to read on to find out more. The author backs this up by making a statement along the lines of whether you like it or not we are all writers. This refers to all forms whether it be on facebook or twitter to a lab report or a essay, they are all forms of writing now take it or leave it.

3 comments:

  1. I have recently noticed that there are many businesses that have Twitter. The gas station down the road from my house, a car washing place, and even the library all have twitters now. I have never looked at any of their pages, so I can even imagine what they would update. However, I have seen many books at the library about using Twitter and even Facebook for business purposes. It seems to me once businesses really infultrate social networking sites, those site will become less popular and loose members.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked your commentary on the We Are All Writers Now section. You make strong points that despite our best efforts, no matter how much we may not like writing, we are writers.

    In response to the Traditonal Writing Skills, I believe Twitter, for some companies, could help the company's publicity. Bear in mind, with our short attention span, 140 characters is perfect for the company to get a point across to get the consumers' interest. I actually think Twitter is a decent marketing tool.

    Would also like to stress, I also enjoyed the "...whatever you think is cool, remove immediately."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with what you said about editing of a blog post being a choice; that is indeed the one thing that makes it very different from an article in a newspaper or magazine. I also agree that there should not be a link to a twitter account on a business profile. That would not look too professional.

    ReplyDelete